One of my New Year’s Resolutions for 2015 is to start cooking more in my slow cooker. So I figured I should get a head start and what’s easier to make than chili?
1 package of ground turkey meat
tsp of olive oil
2 cans of crushed tomatoes (28 oz) I used Tuttorosso
1/2 can of tomato paste (6 oz)
2 bell peppers
2 large carrots
3 stalks of celery
1 large garlic clove
1 pack of mushrooms
green onions or scallions (I put a few in the chili and saved some for after as a topping)
3 tbsps chili powder
sprinkle of cayenne pepper (can be very spicy so be careful)
few shakes of salt and pepper
few shakes of cumin
tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder (optional, but gives it a more smoky taste)
1. Open cans of crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and add to slow cooker and put it on low temperature
2. Brown the meat until its almost fully cooked then add to slow cooker
3. Cut up all the vegetables and add to slow cooker
4. Add in all spices and stir
5. Let the chili cook on low for about 6 hours and stir occasionally
6. Spoon chili into bowl and top with scallions for the paleo version. Non-paleo add some scallions, cheese, and a few tortilla chips!
7. Eat and Enjoy!
AND since Im doing the fix meal plan this is how I counted my chili!
1 red (turkey meat)
1 purple (crushed tomatoes and pastes)
1 green (veggies)
1 blue (if you add cheese)
1 yellow (if you add tortilla chips)